Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on the present and future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

This was my second time participating in the Blanket Exercise. I had the opportunity to lay out the blankets and help prepare this exercise for my cohort. Every time I participate in this exercise something new resonates with me. The word I used to sum up this experience was “responsibility” because as a Canadian is it our responsibility to make a difference by growing our awareness and being able to share our understanding to future generations. This exercise is a mini history lesson into the journey of Indigenous peoples. I think everyone should be a part of this exercise at least once in their life to grow a deeper understanding of reconciliation among Indigenous and non-indigenous peoples.

100o Ravens for Reconciliation. Thank you to the UNBC First Nations Centre for giving me the opportunity to take part in this journey towards Truth and Reconciliation.

A few of my classmates went hunting and harvested a moose. They shared their experience as well as the food and material they created from that hunt. Although, hunting is against my morals, I still listened to the story they shared because I did not want to be disrespectful and it was an opportunity for me to learn more about a culture. I did not participate in the activities because I felt uncomfortable but I did acknowledge the story that they shared.

This was my first time drumming and what an amazing experience it was. I learned how drums are made and how significant they are to the Indigenous culture. Drums represent a heartbeat and you can feel that vibration throughout your entire body when you drum. I also had the privilege to sing traditional Indigenous songs with my cohort. I believe drumming is a great way to share Indigenous knowledge in a fun and interactive way.