Learning ignites curiosity we never even knew we had.

Tuesday, October 1 2019

Today we had the opportunity to video call Valerie Irvine from the University of Victoria. During this presentation the concepts of modality and methods of teaching were discussed. Something that really struck to me was the bias of face to face learning and online learning. I do believe that face to face learning can be more meaningful because it helps strengthen the bond between the teacher and students. It also allows everyone to participate in hands on learning, co-create and collaborate. However, that does not mean that face to face learning is more beneficial. It all comes down to pedagogy and the method of teaching. Therefore, online learning can be just as beneficial to students and with the advances in technology there are so many options to create a valuable learning environment. As teachers we need to provide options to students and be able to accommodate our diverse learners and their needs. Teachers should not be fixed in their ways in terms of their methods because that is not inclusion. The most meaningful and beneficial way of learning is to meet students where they are at.

Previous

Tuesday, September 24 2019

Next

Thursday, October 3 2019

1. Hi Aleshia,
    I fully agree that teachers should not be fixed in their ways and meeting students where they (students) are.
    I particularly appreciate that face-to-face learning has merit and that when this is not an option, that teachers be open to alternative ways to teach. I believe the student should have choice in how they learn.